How to Dual Boot Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Windows 10
Dual boot Ubuntu with windows is very useful for us. Ubuntu is an open source operating system that based on Debian architecture . Ubuntu 18.04 LTS was released on April 26th, 2018 with a lot of changes on front end as well as on backend. Major changes that any body can notice is its desktop environment .
In this tutorial i am going to explain you , how to dual boot ubuntu 18,04 LTS with windows 10 . In this article we assume that we have already a system with windows 10 installed . Now I am going to install ubuntu along with windows 10 .
To download ubuntu 18.04 LTS , you have to go to official ubuntu website. Website download links are given below-
Recommended system requirements:
- 2 GHz dual core processor or better
- 2 GB system memory
- 25 GB of free hard drive space
- Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
- Internet access is helpful
Dual Boot Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Windows 10
Steps for dual boot ubuntu with windows 10 are –
1. Make a Backup of your system :- It is always nice to make a backup of your system. If any things go wrong , you can recover your data and files with this backup . There are many article on internet about how to backup your system . In windows you can easily do this by going to control panel, system and security section. Here you will find backup and restore option. Through this you can easily backup your windows operating system .
2. Create a live/USB disk for Ubuntu : – Second thing, you have to create a bootable USB for ubuntu installation media. There are many software available on internet though which you can easily create a bootable media on windows operating system . Rufus is one of the popular software for creating bootable media. You can download it by going on this link. https://rufus.akeo.ie/
3. Make a partition for Ubuntu installation : – If you have just one partition , you need to make some free space out of it for Ubuntu Linux. If you have several partitions of considerable size, use any of them except C drive because it may erase the data.
To make a partition on windows 10 , we need to open Disk Management Console. To open Disk Management console, open run prompt and type ‘diskmgmt.msc‘
We need to free up some space from our HDD, we will do it by shrinking the volume that has some free space. Select the partition with some free space (at least 25 Gb), right click & select ‘Shrink Volume‘
select the amount you want to shrink and press ‘Shrink’.
As shown is the screenshot below, we now have 40 GB of unallocated space that will be used for Ubuntu 18.04 installation
Next step is to shutdown your system & insert a bootable USB for Ubuntu 18.04 onto the system & than boot the system into the Ubuntu image
Once the Ubuntu image has been booted up, we should see the following options. Select ‘Install Ubuntu’,
On next screen, we will be asked for ‘Keyboard Layout’ . Select as your requirement . and click on continue.
On the next screen , It shows updates and other software . Select option according to your requirement . and pess on continue.
On the next screen, we will select the installation type. Since we are dual booting with Window 10, we will select the first option ‘Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10′
press ‘Write changes to disk‘ to proceed further with the installation,
Now we would be asked about our Geographical location, select your country & proceed by clicking on the Continue button,
Now on next screen you have to provide information about our User, our computer name & password etc. Enter all the requested information & once done, press Continue,
We have now entered all the needed information, Ubuntu will now proceed with the installation.
Once the installation has been completed, we will be asked to restart our system. Press on ‘Restart Now’. Also remove the installation media from system before restarting the system,
Now when the system is restarted, we will see the following boot menu first. Here we can either opt to login to Ubuntu by selecting the first option or we can also boot into Windows 10 by selecting the last option. We will boot into Ubuntu,
Now after completing the bootup process, we will see the login screen. Select the created user & enter the password to login . Now we have successfully installed Ubuntu along with Windows 10 & can now use both the operating systems without an issue,
Now this article is completed. I hope Now you can dual boot ubuntu along with windows 10. If you want some other article related to Ubuntu, You can read this article How To Install MySQL 8.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS