Routing Information Protocol is one of the oldest routing protocol . It uses hop count as a routing metric . It is classified as a Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP) by Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) . In this article i will explain some important routing information protocol interview question . These questions are very important for network administrator interview .It is designed for use in smaller network .
Let’s start routing information protocol interview question
Routing Information Protocol Interview Question
1. What is RIP ?
RIP stands for Routing Information Protocol . It is distance vector routing protocol .
2. What are the name of RIP version ?
RIPv1 and RIPv2
3. What is the AD value of RIP ?
4. What is the limit of hop count in RIP ?
5. What is the multicast address of RIPv2 ?
6. What is difference between RIPv1 and RIPv2 ?
|classful routing||classless routing|
|VLSM not supported||VLSM support|
|No authentication support is available||Support available for both plain text and MD5 authentication|
|Uses broadcast for update||uses multicast for update|
|broadcast address 255.255.255.0||multicast address 188.8.131.52|
7. Which port number is used by RIP to update route information ?
port 520 UDP
8. What is RIPng ?
It is extension of RIPv2 which support IPv6 .
9. What is Load -balancing in RIP ?
It support upto six equal cost path .
10. What is split horizon ?
It is method of preventing routing loops in distance vector routing protocol by preventing a router from advertising a route back onto the interface from which it was learned .
11. What is routing loops ?
When same packet moves between two routers continuously then routing loos occurs .
12. What is disadvantages of routing loops ?
These are the main disadvantages of routing loops –
- never delivery of package
- wasting bandwidth
13. What are the important loop prevention methods ?
These are the important loop prevention methods –
- split Horizon
- Poision Reverse
- Triggered Update
- Holddown timers
14. How many types of timers in RIP ?
The types of Timers are –
- Update timers
- Invalid timers
- Holddown timers
- Flush timers
15. How to configure RIP ?
R# conf t
# router rip
#network 10.0.0.0 // directly connected network
16. How to configure RIPv2 ?
R# conf t
17. How to configure timers in RIP ?
#timers basic 40 40 100 150
18.What is holddown timers ?
It is used to ensure sufficient time for all routers to be updated when a route fails .
19. Which command you use to debug RIP in real time ?
R# debug ip rip
20. How to view information about rip protocol ?
R # show ip protocols
21. How to view all routes in rip database ?
R#show ip rip database
You may also like to read following article :
- 30 basic mysql interview question for database administrator
- 50 basic networking interview question
- Interview question of Red Hat package management
- 50 most popular linux commands
In this article we discuss about routing information protocol interview question . I hope this is useful for you.