Apache web server is world’s most popular open-source cross platform web server . It is also known as httpd . Virtual hosting allows one Apache installation to serve many different website .If you are working as a system or web administrator then you must be familiar with Apache web server . In this article i will explain 50 Apache web server interview questions and answers . You must read this carefully , this will help you a lot in your interview .
Before proceeding to this article , we take some common information about Apache web server .
Developer : Apache software foundation
Operating System : Windows, Unix-like
Written in : C , XML
Home Page : https://httpd.apache.org/
Apache web server download page
So now , Let’s get started with Apache web server interview questions and answers
50 Apache Web Server Interview Questions and answers
1. What is Apache web server ?
Apache web server is one of the most popular , open source , powerful http server. It can be used to host any website from a small website to large ecommerce website .
2. How to check version of Apache web server ?
Alternatively , you can also use rpm command to check Apache web server version
#rpm -qa |grep httpd
3. Which command you use to install Apache web server in your machine ?
#yum install httpd
you can also install Apache web server through rpm command
# rpm -ivh packagename.rpm
4. How to start or stop httpd service ?
#service httpd start
#service httpd stop
5. How to configure httpd to start automatically at boot time in rhel ?
#chkconfig httpd on
6. How to verify httpd service status ?
#service httpd status
7. What is the main configuration file of httpd ?
8. What is location of log files of httpd ?
9. What is the port number of Apache web server ?
http works on port number 80 and https work on port number 443
10. Which module is required to have redirection possible ?
mod_rewrite module is required to have redirection possible .
11. Can you change the default port of Apache web server ?
Yes , I can change the default port of Apache web server .
For this, you have to specify port number is Listen directive .
example – suppose ip address is 192.168.103.5 and port number is 8000
12. What is DocumentRoot ?
DocumentRoot directive is the folder location of configuration from where static files will be served . Default DocumentRoot location is /var/www/html
13. How to use Log level as Debug mode ?
When you are troubleshooting any issue occurs in your web server , you can make Log level as debug mode by changing the configuration file of Apache web server .
In httpd.conf you have to change Log level
14. What do you about virtual hosting ?
Virtual hosting allows one Apache installation to serve many different website .
15. Which module is required to enable SSL ?
mod_ssl module is required to enable SSL .
16. What is difference between restart and graceful restart ?
In normal restart, server is stopped and after that start , cause some request is lost . but in graceful restart Apache keeps on working continuously until it will replaced by new process. That’s why there are no loss occurs in graceful restart .
17. Which command is used to check error in httpd.conf file ?
18. Which module is used to enable php script on web server ?
19. How we can find out how people are reaching to your site ?
Add following line to your activity log format
20. How to hide server version details in http response header ?
Add following line in http.conf and restart web server
21. What is the meaning of Listen in httpd.conf file ?
Port number on which to listen for nonsecure (http) transfer .
22. Which module is used for Apache to act as a proxy server ?
23. Why we use mod_perl module ?
mod_perl module allow better perl scripting performance .
24. What are the important error code ?
200 – content found and served ok
403 – tried to access restricted files or folder
503 – server is too busy or unavailable
25. What is difference between Apache web server and Apache tomcat ?
Apache http serve simple http request but Apache tomcat is used as a servlet container to deploy JSP files .
26. What is the port number of Apache tomcat ?
27. What is use of htpasswd ?
htpasswd is used to create and update files used to store user name and password for basic authentication of http users .
28. What are the types of virtual hosts ?
There are two types of virtual hosts . These are –
IP-based virtualhosts and Name-based virtual hosts.
29. What do you mean by IP-based virtual hosts ?
It uses IP address to determine correct virtual host to serve . Therefore you need to have separate IP address for each hosts.
30. What do you mean by Name-based virtual host ?
Using this technique , many different hosts can share same IP address .
31. How you can disable .htaccess file ?
You can disable .htaccess files by setting AllowOverride directive to none .
32. What is use of .htaccess file ?
It provide a way to make configuration changes on a per directory basis .
33. What is mod_evasive module ?
It detects Denial of Service (DoS) attack and prevent from that attack . When a single client makes multiple requests in short interval of time , It denies further request from that client .
34. What is mod_vhost_alias ?
It allows hosting multiple sites on the same server via simpler configuration .
35. Which command is used to install mod_ssl ?
# yum install mod_ssl
36. How to manage fcontext if the DocumentRoot is not default ?
Suppose the DocumentRoot is /srv/net6/vhosts
You can manage fcontext by following command –
#semanage fcontext -a -t httpd_sys_content_t ‘/srv/net6/vhosts(/.*)?’
#restorecon -Rv /srv/net6/vhosts
37. Which module is used to configure for dynamic web page ?
38. What are the log files generated by Apache web server ?
There are mainly two log files are generated by Apache web server . These are –
access_log and error_log
access_log capture all request details . error_log capture all error within Apache web server .
39. What is difference between Directory directive and Location directive ?
Directory directive works only for filesystem objective where as Location directive works only for URLs .
40. What is ServerName directive ?
The DNS system is map IP address to domain name . The value of ServerName is returned when the server generates a URL. You must include you domain name in your DNS system .
41. What is mod_status ?
This module allows you to view detailed status of web server
42. How i can set , my web server is access by only particular domain ?
allow from domain_name
43. Which tool you used for Apache benchmarking ?
ab (Apache bench)
44. Is there any size limit for URL rewriting and alias in Apache web server ?
no, There is no any limit .
45. How to make the server accept connection on both port 80 and 8000 on all interface ?
46. How to make the server accept connection on port 80 for one interface and port 8000 on other ?
47. How to check web server running process ?
#ps -ef | grep httpd
48. What are the log level available in Apache ?
debug, alarm, error , notice, warn , emerg , info
49. How to kill apache process ?
kill -9 process_id
50. How to disable trace HTTP request ?
Add the given line in httpd.conf and restart the server
You may also like to read following article :
- 30 basic mysql interview question for database administrator
- 50 basic networking interview question
- Interview question of Red Hat package management
- 50 most popular linux commands
In this article we discuss about 50 Apache web server questions and answers. I hope this is useful for you.