Package management is one of the most important task as a system administrator . As a system administrator , you install , remove , update package on your system or server. Through this utility you can easily manage software package in Red Hat system. In this article i will discuss about some important interview question generally asked in interview related to Red Hat Package Management. RPM and Yum commonly used in Red Hat environment .
Interview Question of Red Hat Package Management
1. What is YUM ?
Ans. The Yellowdog Updater Modified (yum) is an open source command line package management utility in Red Hat linux operating system . It install package with their dependencies .
2. What are two commands used to install package in Red Hat operating system ?
ans. rpm and yum command used to install package in Red Hat operating system.
3. How you will install a package using yum ?
ans . yum install package_name
4. How you will update a specific package in RHEL ?
ans. yum update package_name
5. How you will update all package in your RHEL system ?
ans . yum update
6. Which option you used to answer yes to any question asked during installation using yum?
ans. we use -y option to answer yes to any question asked during installation using yum.
yum -y install package_name
7. How to remove a package using yum ?
ans. yum remove package_name
8. How to list all installed package in your system ?
ans. yum list installed
9. How to install a package using rpm ?
ans. rpm -ivh package_name
10. How to remove a package using rpm ?
ans. rpm -e package_name
11. How to upgrade a rpm package?
ans. rpm -Uvh package_name
12. How to check installed package using rpm?
ans. rpm -qa package_name
13. How you find a package contains a specific keywords ?
ans. yum search keywords_name
14. How to install a package which is located locally in your machine?
ans. yum localinstall absolute_path_to_package
15. How will you install a group of packages at a single time?
ans. we use groupinstall command to install a group of packages .
16. How you can install a package without dependencies ?
ans. rpm -ivh –nodeps package_name
17. How you can check dependencies of a package before installing it ?
ans. rpm -qpR Package_name
18. How you can list recently installed package in your system?
ans. rpm -qa –last
19. How you can remove a package without dependencies ?
ans. rpm -ev –nodeps package_name
20. Where are yum repository config file located?
ans. yum repository config file is located in /etc/yum.repos.d location as .repo
21. what is the main configuration file of yum ?
ans. yum.conf , which is located in /etc directory .
22. Which command you use to create your own repository ?
23. Which command you use to create a rpm package ?
24. How to list enabled repository ?
ans. yum repolist
25. How to find files belongs to which rpm package ?
ans. rpm -qf file_location
You may also like to read following article :
- How to find files with SUID SGID and sticky bit permission
- How to Configure YUM
- 50 most popular linux commands
- How to use special file permission in linux
In this article we discuss about interview question of Red Hat package management . I hope this is useful for you.